Do you often see this dialog that says “This Program Might Not Have Installed Correctly“, after you finish installing a new software on your computer?
You may think that this window pops up with a reason, so you shouldn’t disable it, right? Well, if you are not so familiar with Windows, and don’t know much about computers at all, then you should probably leave it enabled.
But if you know that the software you installed, actually IS working, and Windows 7 still gives you this message, then I’m sure it gets pretty annoying. That’s why you should definitely disable it.
Here’s another reason to consider. Windows 7 displays this message even if program is installed correctly and it works 100%. This is why the sentence “This Program Might Not Have Installed Correctly” has a word “might” in it.
This is how it looks:
Now let’s see how to disable it and finally stop the annoyance.
This message pops out because “Program Compatibility Assistant” process runs in the background. In fact, this service starts right at the system startup, so it’s even slowing down the System’s startup time a little bit.
1. Click the Start button on your taskbar.
2. In the search box, type “services.msc” (no quotations) and hit Enter.
3. When new window opens, find “Program Compatibility Assistance Service” in the list (see image below).
4. Right click on it, and then click “Stop” (image above)
Now we have finished the first part. We stopped it from running in the background. But if we restart computer, it will automatically run with startup again (remember?) and will continue to show you that message. To stop it from running with the system startup, we will do just a couple of additional steps.
5. Once the service is stopped, right-click on it again. Now go to “Properties”. In a new window, find the option “Startup Type“, and on drop-down menu of it, select “Disabled” and click OK. (image below)
Now you just need to restart your computer.
To confirm that you did everything right, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and look for “PcaSvc” in Services tab. If you don’t find it… Congratulations the service has been disabled!